Large or small, independent or part of a chain; any hotel can use GDS. But if you want to consider GDS, note that this is not the cheapest channel. To set up a connection with the GDS systems, you need one or multiple intermediaries (connectors) that charge set-up costs and also expect a percentage of your bookings. On the other hand, these parties do take the responsibility to sell your rooms profitably. Do you doubt whether GDS is a useful distribution channel for your hotel? Try to find out through the following characteristics:
- Your hotel has more than 20 rooms
- You want to be bookable through traditional travel agencies
- Your hotel is close to an airport
- You would like to attract the business market
- Your hotel is suitable for the business market
If you cannot find yourself in any of these characteristics, it’s probably not worth selling your hotel rooms through a GDS provider.